Ausangate Trek and Machu Picchu
12 Days Among the Sacred Mountain Apus of the Incas
Walk among the sacred Apu mountain gods in the fabled Ausangate region. After a privately guided visit to the Incan citadel of Machu Picchu, you'll join a small group for a 5-day trek through the high-alpine wonders of Ausangate. Your trek is supported by llamas and horses so you'll be hiking lodge-to-lodge with only a daypack. The surreal scenery along this circuit includes passing nearby hanging glaciers and azure lakes aside isolated Quechua communities still herding alpacas and llamas on the highland altiplano.
Ausangate is a challenging, high-elevation trek ideal for experienced hikers who prefer to be far off of the beaten path. You'll be accompanied by local Quechua guides who will lead the way around the Ausangate massif and over two passes up to 17,000’ elevation.
Each night is spent in comfortable, community-owned mountain lodges designed in harmony with the natural surroundings, according to local architectural style and cultural aesthetics. Comfortable rooms feature private bathrooms with hot water, and trained chefs from the local community prepare native Andean dishes using fresh, local ingredients.
Your high Andean adventure begins with acclimatizing amid the vibrant culture and ancient mysteries of the Sacred Urubamba Valley of the Incas. You'll hike the final leg (KM 104) of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, entering the sacred complex through Inti Punku, Gate of the Sun. The trek concludes back in Cusco where you can request extra days at the start or end of your journey in this historic former capital of the Incan Empire.
|2 guests||From $5,150 per person|
|4 or more guests||From $4,595 per person|
The first day of the group Ausangate trek (day 7) begins on a Friday, but the trip is also available on a custom private basis on request.
KM 104 Hike to Machu Picchu
2 Days at Machu Picchu
Remote Mountain Lodges
Stunning Glacier Views
Sacred Valley and Cusco
High (Best): May - October
Mid (Okay): April and November
Classic, Cultural, Active, Wild!
Day 1 - Arrive Lima
Welcome to Peru! Arrive Lima and transfer to the Wyndham Airport Hotel located adjacent to the terminal.
- Day 2 - To Cusco and Sacred Valley
- Day 3 - Lamay Community Visit
- Day 4 - Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu
- Day 5 - Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu
- Day 6 - Full Day Cusco
- Day 7 - Hike Checacupe to Chillca (Fri)
- Day 8 - Phinaya Valley to Machuracay
- Day 9 - Palomani Pass to Alcatauri Gorge
- Day 10 - Vinicunca and the Red Valley
- Day 11 - Anta Pass to Congomire and Cusco
- Day 12 - Morning in Cusco and Departure
- Moraway Adventures travel consultation and pre-departure services
- English speaking (bilingual) naturalist guides
- Private transfers and transportation except to/from Ausangate trek
- First aid kit and supplemental oxygen on trek
- 11-nights accommodation
- All meals day 4, 7-10; Breakfast and lunch days 2-3, 5, 11; Breakfast only days 6 & 12
- All park fees, government levies, conservation donation
- 5-day small-group trek in the Ausangate region starting on Fridays; max 16 trekkers
- International airfare into Cusco, Peru (via Lima)
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses for extra services, optional activities, or changes in your itinerary for reasons beyond our control
- Mandatory travel insurance for trip cancellation, medical services, or evacuation
- COVID tests - if necessary
All prices based on 2 adults sharing and joining with a small group on a set departure for the Ausangate trek. Minimum of 4 trekkers need for set departure to run. Private trekking departures are possible - inquire for details. Single supplement of $1,060 applies for solo travelers - call for details. Due to the high-altitude elevation of this trek, it's not ideal for children under 12.
Luggage restrictions apply - see pre-departure info for details.
Reach out and talk with someone who has been there.
and make your dream a reality!