Kilimanjaro Machame Route
9 Days Trekking in Tanzania
to The Roof of Africa
Mt Kilimanjaro is the highest peak in Africa, and the Machame route is one of the more popular and scenic routes to the summit. Although not technically difficult, the high altitude trekking makes this a challenging journey through remarkably diverse terrain. This route allows for climbing high and sleeping low for optimal acclimatization. A high level of fitness is required since the effects of altitude will make it much harder than a normal uphill hike.
Starting on the southern flanks of the mountain, the route winds through dense rainforest before traversing the immense Shira Plateau and on to Barafu Camp. Set against a backdrop of the southern icefields, you'll ascend to the summit and experience the exhilaration of achievement at the very top of the continent of Africa. Descent is via the Mweka Route.
We have carefully crafted the itinerary to provide the necessary time for acclimatization by allowing for two short and relatively easy days at high elevation before the summit day. We offer a 1 guide to 2 client ratio ensuring a safe and personal experience and monitor your adjustment to high altitude throughout the ascent. Our camps offer 3-person tents shared by 2 people, each equipped with a 3-inch mattress and a 0 F degree sleeping bag, pillow, and thermal liner. Chairs, a walk-in mess tent and a private toilet tent offer additional comforts. Most importantly, we provide knowledgeable professional guides who go through bi-annual training. Our logistics team, at our base, monitors your trip from start to finish.
|2 guests||3 guests||4+ guests|
|From $6,595 per person||From $5,775 per person||From $5,350 per person|
Mid (Better): December - March
High (Best): June - October
Day 1 - Arrive Arusha
Welcome to Tanzania! Arrive Arusha and transfer to your accommodation at Nagare Sero. This evening, you'll have a comprehensive safety briefing and equipment check with your climbing guide.
- Day 2 - Machame Gate to Machame Camp
- Day 3 - Machame Camp to Shira Camp
- Day 4 - Shira Camp to Barranco Camp
- Day 5 - Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
- Day 6 - Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
- Day 7 - Barafu Camp to Summit; Summit to Mweka Camp
- Day 8 - Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Arusha
- Day 9 - Departure
Lodges and Camps For This Adventure:
Ngare Sero Lodge
Kilimanjaro Luxury Tent Camp
- Moraway Adventures travel consultation and pre-departure services
- Trained climbing guides, 1 guide for every 2 clients. Head guides are Wilderness First Responder (or equivalent) trained
- Kilimanjaro trekking and park fees
- Sleeping bag rated to 0F, thermal liner, 3-in mattress, pillow
- Safety equipment including a pulse oximeter, a custom evacuation stretcher, oxygen and a stocked first aid kit
- Airport-hotel-mountain transfers
- 2 nights hotel accommodation, 6 nights mobile tent camping as indicated
- Meals beginning with breakfast on Day 2 and ending with breakfast on Day 9
- Drinks on the trek including water, tea, coffee and hot chocolate
- International airfare into and out of Kilimanjaro-Arusha, Tanzania
- Tanzanian visa
- Tips and gratuities (comprehensive tipping suggestion guide provided)
- Personal expenses for extra services, optional activities, or changes in your itinerary for reasons beyond our control
- Mandatory travel insurance for trip cancellation, medical services, or evacuation
- Drinks, alcoholic beverages, and meals other than listed above
- Any other items not mentioned above
All prices based on 2 adults sharing. Single supplements apply for solo travelers - call for details. Your best chance for success in summiting Kilimanjaro comes from good preparation and fitness. Take time to prepare several months in advance. If you need advice for a fitness plan, let us know.
Reach out and talk with someone who has been there.
and make your dream a reality!